Short Biography of LYDA CONLEY, MARGARETE STEIFF, MARIA LORENA BARROS, | 200 Words | in English

Biography of LYDA CONLEY in short



In the 1640s, the people of the Wyandot Nation were driven out of their homeland by white settlers. They were forced to live in Ohio, then moved again in the 1840s to Kansas, where they created a cemetery for their people. Seventy years later. that cemetery was sold to the government so that they could develop the land

Eda didn’t think it was right.

Why should we not be proud of our ancestors and protect their graves? she asked. Her grandmother, mother, sister, aunts, and uncles were buried there, and she wasn’t going to allow houses to be built over their bodies.

So she marched to the cemetery, built a shack inside it, and stayed there as a guard, armed with a shotgun. She and her sisters put up ‘No Trespassing signs and took shifts keeping watch with their guns.

In 1907, Lyda went and argued her case before the Supreme Court, becoming the first female Native American lawyer to do so. They rejected her appeal. Still, she refused to move from the cemetery.

In 1912, a police officer entered the graveyard and Lyda shot him. In her opinion, she had every right to protect the land of her people. She was arrested and put in jail.

But Lyda was drawing more and more attention and support from across the state. By 1916, a bill was passed that protected the land from being sold or developed.

Even though her battle had been won Lyda continued spending her days in the cemetery, wandering among the graves and caring for the birds and squirrels.

When Lyda died, she was buried with her ancestors in the cemetery she had spent her whole life protecting. In 2016, it was named a National Historic Landmark.

Biography of MARGARETE STEIFF in Short



Margarete was a perfectly healthy child for the first eighteen months of her life. Then, tragedy struck. She came down with an illness that paralyzed her legs and left her almost entirely unable to move her right arm.

Despite her illness, Margarete started school early, never missed a day. and excelled in her lessons. Every day her siblings would wheel her to the schoolhouse in a cart and a neighbor would carry her up the stairs to the classroom.

One day, Margarete told her family she was going to become a seamstress. Everyone thought she’d fail but Margarete paid them no attention. By seventeen, she was using a sewing machine and had a small business making clothes out of felt.

AL Christmas, Margarete used some of the felt to make elephants that were given out to children. They were cherished by everyone who received one.

Most toys at the time were made out of hard things that couldn’t be cuddled and Margarete’s soft animals were a much more comforting alternative. Margarete could see that kids wanted her creations so she continued making them even after the first elephants were gone. On the back of her clothing catalog, she wrote: Children’s toys in felt, safe and unbreakable. Elephants with colorful saddles Steiff toys was born.

Margarete’s brother, Fritz, encouraged her to grow the business. He arranged for a new building to house the business, including an apartment with easy disabled access where Margarete could live comfortable and independently. She began making pigs, dogs, mice, cats, monkeys, and donkeys, all out of cuddly felt.

Then her brother hit on the idea of creating a bear Steiff made some of the very first teddy bears in existence You could tell they were genuine Steiff by the button tags sewn into their cars

By 1907, almost a million were being made every year. Steiff toys remain some of the most collectible, desirable, and loved toys around today. Their company motto is still: ‘Only the best is good enough for our children!

Biography of MARIA LORENA BARROS in Short



In the 1960s, students across the Philippines were protesting against the government. They protested against the price of education, the rights of workers, and the police attacking those who stood up for their beliefs. These were dark times and the president ruled with terror.

Maria was raised by her mother. She was curious about a lot of things, especially why some people were very rich and so many others were very poor.

As she didn’t have siblings, Maria read books to stop herself getting lonely. She fell in love with theatre, gymnastics, and writing. At university, she focused on anthropology, the study of how humans behave. During the student protests, she marched for her belief that everyone had a right to be equal.

When the police advanced on her university in 1970, aiming guns at the building, Maria barricaded herself inside with the other students.

After that, Maria decided she had to take action. She thought that a women’s organization was needed in the Philippines. She started one and the group grew and grew, picking up members in villages, factories, and schools.

A year later, new rules meant the police could arrest whoever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Maria was charged, arrested, and sent to a prison camp. She made her escape twelve months later.

She lived in hiding, writing poems, songs, and essays that criticized the government and inspired those who fought against them. One day she was caught and injured in a shootout. Her captors said they could save her if she would give them information about her group. She refused to say anything even the threat of death wasn’t enough to get her to give up on her beliefs.

At only twenty-eight years old, Maria was given a heroine’s funeral, where revolutionary songs were sung and stories were told of her courage and strength. Maria continues to be an inspiration to Filipinos, a symbol of darker times and the light that they can bring out in us.

Leave a Comment